Sunday, March 17, 2013

Green Protein Smoothie


In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I thought I would post some sort of green recipe.  I love green smoothies made with spinach, but it peeves me that spinach is often called a “superfood.”  Actually, it bothers me that any food is called a “superfood.”  While things like kale, blueberries, eggs, and flax seeds are all healthy, they should not be considered “super,” because in my mind, they are just every day foods. 
The problem with calling things “superfoods” is that it makes those foods sound special, which prevents people from including them in their diets regularly.  If they were just viewed as regular foods, I feel that people would be more inclined to eat them on a regular basis.  Another problem with the “superfood” label is that it leaves room for unhealthy foods to still be considered food...Ahhhh, the tactics of marketing.


Green Protein Smoothie

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup spinach
  • ½ granny smith apple
  • ¼ cup greek yogurt (can be replaced with additional coconut milk)
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
  • 1 medjool date, pitted
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut milk
  • 3-4 ice cubes

Directions: 
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and give it a whirl!

What are your favorite smoothie ingredients?


2 comments:

  1. I love the addition of greek yogurt. Just a little more protein!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I consider my diet more Primal than Paleo, because I still eat some dairy (mostly cheese and yogurt), and I eat beans and dark chocolate every once in a while, as well.

    ReplyDelete