Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater...


So for today’s post, I am going to address the topic of cheating (I bet you didn't see that coming based on the title of the post, right?).  Well, there are many forms of cheating which I blatantly oppose...Cheating on tests, cheating in relationships, cheating people out of money – All bad, so just don’t do any of it, because it won’t get you anywhere in life…

However, cheating on a “diet” is slightly different.  Now, I’m not saying you should trade in your sirloin steak and grilled veggies for a slice of pizza or an entire cheesecake or anything (at least not regularly).  But sometimes, you just need a little something to press that “reset button.”  Allow me to explain… I have noticed that when I eat something I shouldn’t be eating, my body may not react to it very well at that moment, but as soon as I get back on the paleo wagon afterwards, it bounces back even better than before.  Have you ever taken a couple days off from the gym and come back even stronger and more motivated?  For me, it’s kind of the same concept with what I eat.


And don’t assume that “paleo treats” aren’t “paleo cheats.”  Just because these muffins aren’t made with refined sugar and wheat flour doesn’t mean you should make them on a regular basis.  While they are healthier than eating a box of doughnuts, paleo desserts are calorie-dense and still often contain a good amount of carbohydrates which can add up very quickly.  On that note, that’s why I made these muffins mini.  Mini desserts are just the right size to satisfy a little sweet craving, but still pretty forgiving if you cave and decide to eat three or four.  And these came out a little moist, but I guess it is much better to err on the side of moist rather than dry.  Enjoy!


Pumpkin Caraway Mini-Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup pumpkin purée
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
  • ¼-½ cup chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF, and line a mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until combined.
  3. Fill each of the wells to the top (the muffins don’t grow very much).
  4. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the tops begin to brown.

Makes 24 mini-muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment