Friday, December 28, 2012

Maple-Mustard Glazed Salmon with Roasted Asparagus

salmon asparagus

My life tends to revolve around food, and for this reason, I often like to try new and elaborate cooking techniques.  Due to this inclination to experiment in the kitchen, some of my recipes can get a little complicated and labor-intensive.  I realize that not everyone has the time or patience (which I could even use more of) to execute intricate recipes.  Sometimes after a long day, I come down with the “I Just Want To Sit Here and Do Nothing” bug.  On days like this, when I don’t head down the street to Chipotle, it’s nice to be able to whip up a healthy meal in 30 minutes that still tastes like a labor of love. 
These recipes were essentially the result of a single question I asked myself: “What do I have, and how can I make it taste good in the shortest time-frame possible?”  And my favorite thing about this meal is that everything goes in the oven at the same temperature and for the same amount of time.  It’s almost fool-proof, which makes it perfect for those that don’t cook on a regular basis.  Well, enough with my lazy-day rant...Enjoy!


Maple-Mustard Glazed Salmon

Ingredients:
  • 2  four to five ounce salmon fillets (with skin)
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 2 Tablespoons mustard (I used spicy mustard)
  • 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried dill
  • ½ teaspoon dried basil
  • 1-2 teaspoons tamari

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
  2. Lay the salmon fillets skin side down on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Season the fillets with the kosher salt and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.  
  4. Evenly coat each fillet with the glaze, then place in the oven for 10-12 minutes until salmon is just cooked through.


Roasted Asparagus

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • 2-3 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
  2. After washing and thoroughly drying the asparagus, trim the thick, tough ends (about an inch) off the spears.
  3.  Melt the coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave.  Then, on a foil-lined baking sheet, toss the asparagus with the coconut oil and spread into a single layer.
  4. Sprinkle the asparagus evenly with the salt, pepper and garlic powder, then place in the oven for about 10 minutes until tender (you can remove them a few minutes early if you like them crunchier).

No comments:

Post a Comment