- 10-12 slices of bacon
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ package of button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- 8 pepperoncinis, chopped
- ½ cup jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Cook the bacon in a skillet, chop into pieces, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, half the bacon, eggs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Spread meat mixture evenly in a 9 x 13-inch pan into a thin layer with the meat slightly coming up the sides of the pan. Bake in 350ºF oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the meat crust from the oven and cover it with tomato sauce, spreading evenly. Then layer the cheese, veggies, and remaining bacon and return the meatza to the oven for an additional 15 minutes until cheese is hot and melty.
What are some of your favorite caveman-like substitutions? . . . Feel free to leave a comment below.
Recipe adapted from: Paleo Diet and Living