Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sweet Omelette: A Slightly Irr-"egg"-ular Breakfast

sweet omelette

Like many followers of the primal lifestyle, I sometimes wake up in the morning and grudgingly think to myself, “I guess it’s eggs for breakfast, again.”  But one morning, I had some extra time on my hands, so I thought long and hard about what to do with my eggs to make them egg-stra special (Oh, and I apologize for my excessive use of really bad egg puns).  I knew I was craving something sweet, and that was when I had an epiphany. 
What if I added honey to my morning omelette and topped it with candied mixed nuts and fresh fruit? “AHA!,” said my sweet craving, “You hit the nail on the head.”  I kid you not, it tasted as if a savory omelette and a pancake had a baby!  I was already aware of how versatile the egg can be, but at this point, I realized that food itself has no limitations and that the combinations are truly endless.  Enjoy.


Sweet Omelette

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon raw honey
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
  • a pinch of sea salt
  • ½ Tablespoon of butter
  • Fresh fruit (optional, but I recommend using sliced strawberries)

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, add the eggs, honey, vanilla extract, heavy cream and sea salt, and beat until combined.
  2. Heat a small nonstick skillet and add the butter.
  3. When the butter is melted, add the egg mixture and cook until almost completely set (it will continue to cook slightly).  Using a spatula, fold it in half, then slide it onto a plate.
  4. Garnish with candied mixed nuts (recipe below) and fresh fruit.

Note: A dollop of Greek yogurt on top is also a nice addition.


Candied Mixed Nuts

Ingredients:
  • ½ Tablespoon butter
  • ¼ cup unsalted mixed nuts (or nut of choice), roughly chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
  • a dash of cinnamon
candied mixed nuts
Directions:
  1. Heat a small pan or skillet, then add the butter.
  2. When the butter is melted, add the remaining ingredients and cook until the syrup is bubbling.
  3. After syrup starts to bubble, continue cooking for about 2 more minutes being careful not to burn it, then transfer to a sheet of parchment paper and spread into a single layer until cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment