Sunday, June 16, 2013

Indian Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Masala Sauce


I have recently become aware of an interesting problem, if I should even call it a "problem" at all.  I realized that I have so many hobbies that it has been very difficult for me to make time for all of them (blogging being one of them).  In my opinion, this is a great problem to have, because it tells me that I am living a full and satisfying life… Which brings me to my point about the importance of one's passions and hobbies.  

When someone I meet asks me to tell them about myself, the first words that come out of my mouth in almost every case are, "I like to…," which are naturally followed by a list of my favorite activities (i.e. cook, hike, read, country dance, work out, etc.).  I define myself by the things I like to do because they are an essential part of who I am, and understanding that fact is critical to being proud of and comfortable with oneself.  So, when people laugh at me after I tell them grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do (What can I say?...I'm a foodie), it doesn't bother me one bit.

At the risk of sounding like a self-help guru, in order for others to like you, you have to like yourself first; and that means embracing (and trying to make time for) all your hobbies, no matter how strange they may be.

…And on that note, I leave you with an aromatic and flavorful product of one of my hobbies (recipe writing, of course). Enjoy!


Indian Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Masala Sauce

Meatballs-
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground lamb
  • ¼ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon garam masala
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon cumin

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all ingredients.
  3. Roll the meat into balls about 1½ inches in diameter (makes 16-18).
  4. Place on a greased baking sheet, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until cooked through.

Masala Sauce-
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • ¾ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 Tablespoon garam masala
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, puréed
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour (optional)
  • chopped parsley (garnish)

Directions:
  1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add the sliced onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
  3. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, paprika, and garam masala, and cook for another minute.
  4. Add the puréed tomatoes, honey, and cayenne, and cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Meanwhile, dissolve the arrowroot flour (if using) in a couple tablespoons of the coconut milk.  (This helps to thicken the sauce.) Then add the arrowroot mixture and the remaining coconut milk to the sauce.
  6. Cook for a few more minutes until thickened, and serve over the lamb meatballs and garnish with chopped parsley.
Sauce recipe adapted from:  Bobby Flay


What are some of your hobbies, and how many do you have in common with your closest friends?


No comments:

Post a Comment