Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Greek Yogurt with Protein Powder


Today’s post addresses those not-quite-paleo foods that are heavily debated among the paleo and primal communities.  Now, I wouldn’t call things like yogurt or protein powder “paleo” by any means (no matter how pristine the ingredient lists are); but the real question here is how often it is ok to eat them, if at all.  One could argue that yogurts and cheeses are “primal” since they are fermented forms of dairy and thus more easily digested, but still not “paleo.”  And some paleo followers advocate egg protein powder, even though it is still a processed food product and not technically “real food.”  I’ll be the first to admit that all of these labels and qualifications can get a little overwhelming.



So, my answer to the above question is that whether or not one should eat these foods depends on the individual.  Some people react very badly to dairy and legumes, while others have a bit of a stronger stomach like myself and experience very few negative effects (that are noticeable, anyway).  

I usually do not make these items a staple in my diet, but I find that when I do throw the occasional curveball, my body tends to handle it well, sometimes even overcompensating for it and coming back even stronger and healthier.  I am by no means an expert on health and nutrition, but I listen to my body and I do what works for me.  (And sometimes even things that don’t work, I do anyways because I’m human, and life is short, and I really like ice cream.)


Greek Yogurt with Protein Powder

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
  • ½ serving protein powder
  • ¼ cup mixed berries (if desired)

Directions:
  1. Mix the protein powder into the yogurt.
  2. Add berries or other desired toppings, and enjoy.

Note:  I like this as a post-workout treat, because it’s high in protein and super quick and easy.

Approximate macronutrient profile (berries included):
Fat:           6 g
Carbs:       8 g
Protein:  19 g

**For those of you who are wondering how my blood donation adventure went...I didn’t have an appointment, but luckily they were able to take me as a walk-in since they weren’t busy.  They said my hemoglobin (iron) level was “great” at 14.3 (while the ideal range is from 12.1 - 15.1), and everything went smoothly.  I didn’t experience any dizziness or weakness, and was able to return to my daily plans unhindered.  Yay for potentially saving lives!


No comments:

Post a Comment