Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Loaded Egg Muff-tatas

Okay, before I get into this post, let me just clarify: muff-tata = muffin + frittata. Sort of like a mini frittata, if you will…I guess I could have called them mini-tatas, but I thought that may have been a little too suggestive.  Anyhow...

For breakfast most mornings, I usually make some combination of eggs and vegetables with the occasional strip or two of bacon thrown in there.  One thing I like about egg and veg combos is how versatile the combinations can be. 
I usually use the leftover vegetables I have from previous meals and basically whatever I have on hand.  But sometimes, when I’m a little slow getting ready in the morning, I don’t always have time to make breakfast (even just the short ten minutes it takes to scramble a bunch of stuff together).   That’s where the muff-tatas come into play perfectly.  I simply make a batch and store them in the freezer.  That way, when I’m feeling rushed in the morning, I just pop a couple of them in the microwave for a minute or two, and voila!...Instant breakfast, veggies included.


Not only can you vary the recipe depending on what you currently have in your fridge, but you can make a week’s worth of breakfasts in the time it takes to make one, since most of the time is just spent on prepping the add-ins.  And on a side note, one muffin contains about half an egg, so two is usually just about right for me.  (And, of course, you can always double or triple the recipe for a giant stockpile!)


Loaded Egg Muff-tatas

Ingredients:
• 6 eggs
• ¼ cup cream or coconut milk
• 2 large mushrooms, chopped
• ½ cup chopped broccoli
• ½ cup chopped carrots
• ¼ cup chopped onion
• 3-4 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
• ¼ cup shredded cheese
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and lightly grease a muffin tin.
2. Crack the eggs into a large measuring cup (this makes it easy to pour the egg mixture into the muffin tin).  Then, add the cream and beat until combined.
3. Mix in the remaining ingredients, and pour the mixture evenly into the wells of the muffin tin (I filled mine up about half way, which gave me about 12 muffins).
4. Bake for about 20-22 minutes until the egg is cooked through.
5. Remove from the oven and eat, or store in the fridge/freezer for future consumption


How do you like your eggs in the morning?

2 comments:

  1. Hey...I like your recipes. I'm trying this diet although I always find a way to cheat.

    Good job...good, clear writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really appreciate the compliment...Yeah, I cheat every once in a while too. But it's definitely better to eat healthy some of the time than not at all!

    ReplyDelete