Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Berry Espresso Protein Shake


So, I have just returned from a week-long road trip to Texas with the best gal-pal, and I am a little overwhelmed by all the things I now need to get done and/or catch up on (i.e. getting ready for the start of the first semester of my senior year on Thursday! Eeek).  I can only hope that I will have enough time to get everything done so that I won't have to alter my schedule too much or put anything on hold.



For times like these, with scarcely enough time for a cup of coffee let alone a real breakfast, I tend to rely on quick and easy meals like single-serving protein smoothies.  The best part about this particular smoothie is that it has my coffee kick blended right into it!  Caffeine and a scrumptious breakfast in the few seconds it takes to run a blender?…Yes please!  (Actually, I may start planning a packed schedule on purpose just to have an excuse to make this shake more often.)

Sometimes I'll add some spinach or mixed greens, as well, and it keeps me full for quite a while until I can find a sliver of time for my next meal.  While protein shakes are not exactly an ideal replacement for actual high-quality meats and proteins, they serve the purpose under a time crunch (and they are yummy!)

My apologies for the short and boring post, but I have a long "Cinderella" list of to-dos… and I'm starting with my favorite thing:  grocery shopping. (No surprise there!)



Berry Espresso Protein Shake

Ingredients:
  • 1 heaping teaspoon espresso powder (instant coffee granules will work too)
  • 2 Tablespoons hot water
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ cup frozen mixed berries
  • 1 serving chocolate protein powder
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • a pinch of salt
  • 3-4 ice cubes
  • additional fresh berries or mixed nuts for garnish

Directions:
  1. Dissolve espresso powder in the 2 Tablespoons of hot water.
  2. Add all ingredients to a blender and give it a whirl!
  3. Pour into a glass and top with the berries or mixed nuts if desired.

What's your favorite food to eat when you're on the go?  Do you ever prepare foods ahead of time if you know you are going to be in a rush?


No comments:

Post a Comment