Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thai Creamed Spinach and Dandelion Greens

I’ve been trying to incorporate even more leafy greens into my diet this week, since I am planning to donate blood on Saturday, and greens tend to be higher in iron.  I once tried to give blood a few years ago, but I was denied due to low iron levels.  I am hoping that with a significantly improved diet since then (including more red meat), I shouldn’t have to worry about iron...One thing I am concerned about, however, is the amount of fat consumption that is common among paleo-dieters affecting my donation. 

No, the fat isn’t the problem.  The problem is that if a person’s blood contains high levels of fatty acids when they donate, the blood bank will not be able to test the blood for usability, and thus, it is thrown out.  I would hate to go through the trouble of donating thinking that I am potentially saving someone’s life only to have my healthy paleo blood thrown in the trash!  But if that is the case, then at least I will still experience the health benefits of donating, which some paleo peeps claim acts like “an oil change for the body,” and even improves insulin sensitivity.  Anyway, I’ll be posting an update about my blood donation attempt after Saturday, so hopefully all goes well!

Thai Creamed Spinach and Dandelion Greens

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons red curry paste
  • 1 small yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • ½ cup canned coconut milk
  • 1 bunch dandelion greens, coarsely chopped with tough stems removed 
  • 2-3 cups baby spinach

Directions:
  1. Heat a large sautée pan over medium heat, then add the oil.
  2. When the oil is hot, add the red curry paste and sautée until fragrant (about 1 minute).
  3. Add the onion, garlic, red chili flakes, salt and pepper  and allow the onions to caramelize (about ten minutes).
  4. Add the coconut milk and stir, allowing to cook for a minute or two.  
  5. Add the greens and spinach, and stir until wilted (about an additional minute).

Have you ever donated blood.  If so, what was your motivation for doing it?



No comments:

Post a Comment